- Published on 17 January 2014
- Written by Staff Reporter
Secretary of the embattled RMG Independent End Time Message Leader Robert Martin Gumbura who is facing charges of possessing pornographic materials yesterday appeared in court before the trial was postponed to 29 January.
Tendai Ganyani who is Gumbira's secretary was allegedly found in possession of 16 pornographic DVD's, two pornographic magazines and 57 pornographic pictures.
The 26-year-old secretary yesterday appeared before Harare magistrate Donald Ndirowei, but the trial was adjourned after State counsel Michael Reza told the court that the defence counsel, Rekai Maphosa, had indicated she was not prepared to watch the pornographic DVDs in the presence of her male legal practitioners.
"The defence will, however, provide funds for the State to make copies so that she can view them with her client," Reza told the court.
Ganyani's principal is now awaiting ruling for rape and possession of pornographic material.
The State's case is that on October 21 last year, a team of police officers from the Victim-Friendly Unit received information that there were incidences of abuse against women and children at Gumbura's residence.
The following day, it is alleged, a team of five police officers went to the house to carry out a search. During the search, the police officers recovered 16 pornographic DVDs and 57 pictures of the accused persons posing naked.
However, on Tuesday the State altered charges against eight women linked to the Independent End Time Message founder, as their trial kicked off at the Harare Magistrates Court. The eight were being charged with contravening the Censorship and Entertainment Control Act after they were allegedly caught in possession of 16 pornographic DVDs and 57 photographs of them posing nude.
The State later dropped the pornographic material charges against 8 women who now only face charges of posing nude. The possession of pornographic material charges are now pressed on Ganyani.
Gumbura himself is facing nine counts of rape for allegedly raping six female congregates of his church and his trial has been set for February. He is however denying the charges saying he had consensual sex with the women from his church.