First United States man, Thomas Eric Duncan (42) to contract Ebola dies The first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States died early Wednesday, officials with Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital announced.

"It is with profound sadness and heartfelt disappointment that we must inform you of the death of Thomas Eric Duncan this morning at 7:51 am.," the hospital said in a written statement. "Mr. Duncan succumbed to an insidious disease, Ebola."

The Liberian citizen, who recently travelled from West Africa to Dallas to reunite with a longlost son and the teen's mother, had been in isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian since Sept. 28.

It wasn't immediately known what would happen to his body, which could remain contagious for several days. Guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention call for the remains to be immediately shrouded in plastic and double-bagged in leak-proof bags at the hospital, then promptly cremated or buried in an airtight casket.

Duncan's death comes four days after his condition was downgraded from serious to critical. Over the weekend, he had begun receiving brincidofovir, an experimental antiviral drug which recently gained emergency approval from the FDA.

"He fought courageously in this battle," the hospital said in a statement. "Our professionals, the doctors, and nurses in the unit, as well as the entire Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas community, are also grieving his passing. We have offered the family our support and condolences at this difficult time."

Louise Troh, Duncan's fiancée, and three of her family members have been in quarantine for more than a week because they were living in the same apartment with him. On Tuesday, Duncan's son Karsiah travelled from West Texas to try and see the father for the first time in 16 years.

"My thoughts are with the family and friends of Thomas Eric Duncan at this time, especially his fiancée Louise, their son Karsiah, and all those who loved him," Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said in a written statement. "We are also thinking of the dedicated hospital staff who assisted Mr. Duncan daily while he fought this terrible disease.  We offer prayers of comfort and peace to everyone impacted by his passing."

Duncan, 42, is the first person known to die of Ebola in the United States. The virus, which is spread through direct contact with bodily fluids, has killed more than 3,400 people in West Africa in 2014, the World Health Organization estimates.

Five Americans who were diagnosed with Ebola in Africa have returned to the U.S. for treatment since late July. Aid workers Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol, and Rick Sacra made full recoveries. WHO said one of its doctors was transported to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta on Sept. 9. No other details have been released. Ashoka Mukpo, a cameraman working for NBC News, arrived at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha for treatment on Monday.

Duncan's illness and treatment sparked controversy. He arrived in Dallas on Sept. 20 from Liberia, one of the hardest-hit areas of the outbreak.

His neighbors in Monrovia told reporters that five days before his flight, Duncan helped a pregnant woman get to the hospital in a taxi. She was convulsing and vomiting. The woman died at home hours later, after being turned away from a crowded Ebola treatment ward.

It is unclear if Duncan knew the woman had Ebola, but Liberian government officials said they plan to prosecute him for lying on health forms he completed at the airport on Sept. 19.

Duncan answered "no" to questions about whether he had cared for an Ebola patient or touched the body of someone who had died in an area affected by Ebola.

CDC officials said Duncan didn't have a fever or symptoms of Ebola when he boarded his flight in Liberia, which made multiple stops. He also had a three-hour layover in Washington, D.C. before arriving in Texas.

Five days after getting to Dallas, Troh drove Duncan to the emergency room at Texas Health Presbyterian. Hospital officials said he showed up in the middle of the night with a fever of 100.1 degrees, abdominal pain for two days, a sharp headache, and decreased urination. The hospital said Duncan told them he had not experienced nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea – strong indicators of Ebola. – yahoo

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.