My Zimbabwe

Latest News

facebook Share on Facebook

POLICE have launched an investigation following a break in at the offices of the Minister of Transport, Communication and Infrastructural Development, Cde Obert Mpofu, in Harare yesterday.

The break in at Cde Mpofu's office, who is also Zanu-PF's secretary for finance, follows a cyanide attack at the party offices of Acting President Emmerson Mnangagwa that left his secretary hospitalised. Minister Mpofu yesterday said he was informed by the police about the incident, but could not comment further.

National police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba said the motive of the latest break in was unknown.

"The Zimbabwe Republic Police is conducting investigations in connection with the case of Unlawful Entry with intent unknown, which occurred at the Minister of Transport, Communication and Infrastructural Development, Cde Obert Mpofu's office on January 2, 2015," said Snr Asst Comm Charamba.
"An unknown person forced open three doors at Kaguvi Building 16th Floor in Harare and tried to enter Cde Mpofu's office but failed. Initial investigations have revealed that nothing was stolen from the office."

She said as a result, police have tightened security at government buildings.

"The ZRP has stepped up surveillance on all government buildings and will take stern action against anyone who will be found trying to cause alarm and despondency on government officials," she said.

Last month, Acting President Emmerson Mnangagwa's cheated death after his office was allegedly sprayed with cyanide poisoning by unknown assailants a day before his inauguration as the Vice President of the country.

Cde Mnangagwa's secretary Catherine Magaya was treated in the intensive care unit of a private hospital after she entered the VP's office at the Zanu-PF headquarters and fell ill.

Cde Dzingayi Mutasa, a driver and an unnamed official from the President's Office were also affected by the poison. Cde Magaya has since said there were some suspicious occurrences at the VP's office before the attack.

Weeks before the cyanide attack, Cde Mnangagwa was involved in an accident in Harare. Days after coming into office, Vice President Phelekezela Mphoko was involved in a car crash in Harare as he returned from church but escaped unhurt.

You are here: Home News Burglas break into 'wealthy' Minister Obert Mpofu's office