- Published on 25 February 2016
- Written by Online Correspondent
TWO minor siblings from Mberengwa were burnt beyond recognition after a hut in which they were sleeping caught fire.
Their teenage mother had left a candle burning in their bedroom hut.
The tragedy occurred on Tuesday last week at around 9PM.
Nelia Chinhamo, 19, of Mutumburi village chief Chingoma in Mberengwa, allegedly left her two minor children in her bedroom hut after placing a candle on top of radio speaker and left for Zvavachari Dam for fishing.
National Police Spokesperson Chief Superintendent Paul Nyathi said the children, Clayton Shiri aged one year and seven months and Ndazvida Chinhamo, whose age was not given, were burnt beyond recognition. He said Chinhamo, in the company of Kudzai Matcheza, 60, of the same village, went to Zvavachari Dam which is about 500 metres away from her homestead, for fishing.
“When she was still at the dam, she heard people shouting at the top of their voices and she discovered that her homestead was on fire,” said the police spokesperson.
Chief Supt Nyathi said Chinhamo rushed back home to find her children already dead while villagers fought to put out the fire.