- Published: 08 August 2014
- Written by Staff Reporter
The Zimbabwe Republic Police would like to confirm that the following people who died in the fatal road accident which occurred on the 4th of August 2014 that saw Thirteen people perishing while 18 others were seriously injured on Monday when a cross border Zupco bus they were travelling in side-swiped with a Mujawo Transport International haulage truck, veered off the road and plunged into a river at the 22kilometre peg of the Harare-Nyamapanda Road.
Police have been identified by their next of kin as:
1. Beather Moyo, a female aged 41 of 120 Pendenis Road, Mount Pleasant, Harare
2. Tandiwa Madya, a female aged 28 of 19 Ruredzo Makoni Street, Mbare, Harare
3. Alice Chipo Mubvuma, a female aged 40 of 24112, Unit O Seke, Chitungwiza
4. Jacqualine Ngwerume, a female aged 27 of 3850 Old Highfield, Harare
5. Jasphine Zimowa, a female aged 46 of 35 Sussex Road, Avondale Harare
6. Madi Filaju, a male aged 67, of F31 Torwood Kwekwe
7. Acqualine Ndau, a female aged 66 of 14572, New Magwegwe, Bulawayo
8. Mposa Stanley Sitende, a male aged 68 of B3330, Gunhill, Chinhoyi
9. Taurai Kumbi James, a male aged 36 of 13792 of Chikonohono, Chinhoyi
10. Calista Mugero, a female aged 50 of 1131 Chakanetsa Street, Marondera
11. Robert Mukandawire, no further particulars known
12. Idris Bare, a male aged 24 years of 1654, 157 Circle Kuwadzana 5, Harare
13. Jaqueline Ndoro, a female adult of 1457, New Magwegwe, Bulawayo.
The accident which occurred on Monday evening, involved a cross border ZUPCO bus coming from Malawi and a Mujawo transport inter-truck that was going in the opposite direction.
The Zimbabwe Republic Police has urged motorists to observe all road rules and regulations as the nation is commemorating the Heroes and Defence Forces holiday's coupled with the closure of schools.
Police spokesman Chief Superintendent Paul Nyathi said 10 people died on the spot while three others died on admission at Parirenyatwa Hospital.
"The truck driver, Wonder Nyamurambe (42), who was travelling from Harare towards Nyamapanda stopped just after the bridge on realising that there were some clothes dumped in the middle of the road.
"The driver alleges that he stopped his truck thinking that there were people sleeping on the road and then started reversing his vehicle to avoid running over the objects," he said.
He said the bus which had 43 passengers and moving from the opposite direction sideswiped the truck and as a result, the bus veered off the road and plunged into the river landing on its left side.