MDC Renewal Team Treasurer General Elton Steers Mangoma had on Tuesday a committee decide on recommendations to suspend him over allegations he hired party youths to assault so called "sex rival" Believe Tevera. Tevera is the man who claims Mangoma is in an adulterous affair with his 20-year-old wife, Yemurai Maravanyika.
The Renewal Team's spokesperson Jacob Mafume told Zimeye the conclusion does not amount to a suspension. "It is a recommendation from the committee," he said.
The party's senior decision making committee last week began sitting down as it investigated the violence that occurred at the party offices last week concluding that it was "satisfied" that Mr Mangoma has committed serious offences. The findings also found that Mr Believe Tevera could have handled himself better but he is more sinned against than being the sinner."
"We find his role in the coordination and sponsoring of violence against party members to be overwhelming. The gang of youth and hired thugs were ferried and transported using the respondent's vehicle. • One of the thugs was later seen providing the respondent with personal security. • The thugs have gone on to incessantly threaten many party members, including staff members perceived not to be aligned to his agenda," the report read.
Below was the full report of the adhoc commitee on the violence that took place at the MDC Renewal Team offices
MDC RENEWAL TEAM REPORT NO 1 SUMMARY OF FINDINGS OF THE ADHOC COMMITTEE ON VIOLENCE AT THE PARTY OFFICE
02 JUNE 2015 1.
Having carefully heard evidence, and read statements from key witnesses, it is clear to us that the charges that the arise form the facts in this matter generally fall under three categories which are. :-
(a) Those that relate to Violence against members of the party.
(b) Those that relate to bringing the party into disrepute. (c) Those that relate to factionalism and creation of division and discohesion in the Party.
2. From our findings above, we are satisfied, on the facts provided before us that Mr Mangoma has committed serious offenses and that Mr Believe Tevera could have handled himself better but he is more sinned against than being the sinner .
We have no doubt in our minds that Mr Mangoma in trying to respond to allegations against himself has failed to meet the standards expected of a senior party member and has himself gone on to commit offences against the party as more fully appears below :-
a) he coordinated youths and a vigilante group to assault members of the party
b) he brought the name of the party into disrepute;
c) he caused and has been a centre of divisions in the Party causing serious dysfunctionality of the party.
• We find his role in the coordination and sponsoring of violence against party members to be overwhelming. The gang of youth and hired thugs were ferried and transported using the respondent's vehicle.
• One of the thugs was later seen providing the respondent with personal security.
• The thugs have gone on to incessantly threaten many party members, including staff members perceived not to be aligned to his agenda.
• We find that the holding of a press conference and the utterances thereof to be undesirable and to have brought the name of the party into disrepute, as he to dragged the entire party and some party leaders into his private social matter. Through the use of innuendo and unbecoming rumour mongering.
• We find that the Mr Mangoma violated the party team of ethics by creating and managing a centre of discohesion and disunity causing party dysfunctionality. The respondent buttressed this mischief by advising the media at his press conference that the party was headed for a split.
• We find Mr Mangoma to possess unbriddled ambition where he has employed unorthodox , illegal and uncouth means to fulfil his perharps child hood ambition to a president of something or anything before nature takes him. The undue haste in his manner and methods is that of a suicide bomber who destroys himself in the process of his mission.
• This ambititon has made him to forget the solidarity afforded to him by the very same members on whom he is instigating violence and a relentless smear campaign without any hint of restraint. The irony is that the same methods he employs today including but not limited to sponsoring and coordination of thugs to beat up victims, factionalism , vote buying, smear campaigns the list appears endless.
• A clear indication of the above is the fact that Mr Mangoma refused to appear before the committee sighting unclear reasons for doing so. He clearly showed a marked disdain for party leadership and processes.
1. We have carefully considered the onerous responsibility on our part. In arriving at this decision, we are fully cognisant of party values and party vision for Zimbabwe as outlined at the Mandel declaration on 26th April 2014.
2. In view of these values, it is our respectful finding that the misdemeanours committed are so gross and warrant disciplinary action to be taken.
3. We therefore hold that, in view of the gravity of the matter, it is our recommendation that the respondent be suspended forthwith and not be allowed to be engaged in party activities, pending the disciplinary process.
4. We also recommend that the identified members of the party involved in the perpetration of violence be subjected to a disciplinary process.
We so report accordingly.
SIGNED AND DATE 2 JUNE 2015 ____________ ________________ Bensoni Ntini Solomon Madzore (Chairing)