I impregnated a married woman, I have no doubt that I’m the father. What is the right thing to do?

File pic: Worried man

Dear Aunty Lisa

Before lockdown, I began an affair with a married woman. She told me I was her soulmate and no one had ever made her feel like I did. Those feelings were reciprocated. After much indecision and heartache, she left her husband and I left my wife so we could start a new relationship together.

Very quickly we discovered she was preg_nant. That put a lot of pressure on our relationship. Although we had wanted a child together (her first, my second), the speed at which it happened made things difficult between us. I did not cope well, but I didn’t want the relationship to end.

A couple of weeks later she had a scan and told me that the child was her husband’s. She sent me a copy of the scan report, then ended our relationship. I queried the paternity – I had consulted a midwife and, given the dates, I believe the child is mine – but she became upset and told me she was sure.

I don’t know what to do. She is very clear that she wants a calm and happy preg_nancy, without any additional stress. She is working hard to rebuild her relationship with her husband, who knows nothing about me. She has broken off all contact between us. I am heartbroken that the relationship is over, but I want to respect her wishes and not upset her. I intend to put money aside every month for the child so that if and when I need to provide support, I can do so. I am thinking of taking the child to Tinashe Mugabe for DNA tests when she gives birth. What is the right thing, ethically, to do?

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.