Property worth thousands of dollars destroyed as Glen View Area 8 complex goes up in smoke again


A section of the Glen View Area 8 Home Industry Complex along Willowvale Road in Harare was on Wednesday night gutted by fire, destroying property worth thousands of dollars.

This is the second time this year, but on the first incident the fire was quickly extinguished according to traders who spoke to NewsDay.

No injuries were reported.

Newly manufactured chairs, beds, kitchen cupboards, lounge suits, tables and wardrobes were among the items destroyed.

The cause of the fire could not be established as traders and eyewitnesses were giving different version of events ranging from suspected electrical fault to cigarette butts that could have been randomly dropped.

Article continues below these jobs...

When NewsDay visited the scene, fire brigade was trying to put off flames but the greater part of the affected area had already been reduced to ashes.

Merchandise owners were running around trying to brave the flames saving a few items that were close to reach although much of the items had been destroyed.

Traders who spoke to NewsDay said they were already home when they received calls that the complex had caught a raging fire.

“We received a call when we were about to sleep. We’ve lost goods worth thousands of dollars, and we appeal to government for help,” Simbarashe Marunza said.

It’s difficult to calculate the loss, but the value could be millions. It’s hard to say what really started the fire; some are saying they only heard an explosion. What can we do? we have to believe that, even though it’s difficult,” another trader Lovemore Sevenzai said with teary eyes.

In 2018, the complex was gutted by fire three times.

Police could not be immediately reached for comment.

More to follow…

— NewsDay

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.