Defiant Zanu PF activist Sybeth Musengezi wants proceedings of his court challenge against President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s legitimacy live streamed.
The hearing is set to commence before Judge President Justice Mary Zimba-Dube October 3 this year.
Musengezi launched a bold challenge against Mnangagwa’s legitimacy last year arguing the Zanu PF number one illegally rose to his job following the shock ouster of late former President Robert Mugabe November 2017.
“Tomorrow (Wednesday) we will be coming back to make an application that we want this case starting on October 3 to be live streamed because Zanu PF is a big party.
“It’s a colossal party. So, whatever that transpired in that matter should be known by everybody…therefore, it is our considered view that it will be in the interest of everybody that the proceedings should be live streamed.”
In a new development, another Zanu PF activist, Goodson Nguni requested to be joined in the proceedings in Mnangagwa’s defence.
The request was granted by the High Court on Tuesday.
Musengezi’s lawyer Nqobani Sithole said they are happy that more people were coming to challenge their application.
“The more we are, the merrier. We are prepared. Even if they are going to be a thousand. Our position is still the same.
“We never believed such an application was going to be granted but it is what it is,” said Sithole.
Nguni, also former commissioner in the Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission, insisted Musengezi was bogus.
“We don’t want him to grandstand and tell his lies and we want to prove to this nation how fraudulent he is a member of Zanu PF.
“We have the evidence. He is a fraudulent member and he committed fraud to become a member of Zanu PF specifically to embarrass our party and I am a loyal member of Zanu PF and the constitution says you must protect the party not what Mr Musengezi is doing.
“We cannot have that. He has violated the constitution of Zanu PF which says every member must protect Zanu PF. That is what I am doing. I am defending my party.”
Musengezi’s lawyer, Sithole shot down claims by Nguni that his client was on a “smear campaign”.
“The papers are as clear as sunrise from the east. It will never be a smearing campaign. What transpired in 2017 is a matter before the court and let the court decide,” he said.
Musengezi argues that a hastily-arranged special session of the Zanu PF central committee that catapulted Mnangagwa to the party presidency in 2017 was unlawful.
A card-carrying member for 21 years, the activist wants the High Court to declare resolutions of that central committee meeting “null and void” and for a special congress to be ordered within three months to “regularise the top leadership positions in the party”.
He argues that Mnangagwa, who rose to his position weeks after his shock sacking as vice president by Mugabe, was thrust as leader by an “unlawful” central committee meeting convened by “unknown” people who included former ministers Patrick Chinamasa and Obert Mpofu, in violation of the party’s constitution.
He accused the parties of taking advantage of what was then an unfolding military coup, dubbed ‘Operation Restore Legacy’, to topple Mugabe.