Massive fire burns down bar and shop, property worth thousands of US dollars destroyed


PROPERTY worth thousands of United States dollars went up in smoke after a fire broke out at Muunganirwa bar and retail shop in Bindura on Wednesday night.

According to the shop owner Beaven Savanhu, the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

“The incident happened around 10 pm, and we called the Bindura Municipality and they told us to call Freda Rebecca,” Savanhu said.

“They sent in their fire tender but unfortunately the damage had already been done.”

Residents expressed concern that the busy mining town had no fire tender yet they were being billed every month for the same.

Article continues below these jobs...

“It was sad to learn that Muunganirwa was gutted by fire, but we want the council to have its own fire tender,” Evans Gumbo said.

“I blame the council for failing to put out this fire, a fire needs quick reaction time but they referred someone to Freda Rebecca mine.

“The mine has its own business and they will be doing their own jobs.”

Two weeks ago, a fire damaged Dr. Banyaz Club Ten.

— The Standard

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.