JUST IN: Soldiers arrive at Mnangagwa’s challenger Sybeth Musengezi’s home after arson attack

0
Soldiers at Musengezi's house which was petrol-bombed

Zanu PF activist Sybeth Musengezi’s Harare home was Saturday ‘petrol bombed’ in a suspected arson attack by persons believed to be unhappy with his bold court challenge against President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s legitimacy as the ruling party’s number one.

Musengezi broke the news of the incident through his Twitter handle Saturday evening.

“Help please petrol bombing at my house in sandton … 410 sandton on fire my house petrol bombed help please,” he said while accompanying the posts with images of charred remains of property inside his home and the shell of a vehicle which was also caught in the inferno.

Property destroyed is worth thousands of dollars.

Musengezi said he was assisted by neighbours to fight the inferno using buckets of water.

“This is what they have done. Thanks to the neighbourhood ‘vazodzima moto nema’ (extinguished it using) buckets. We managed to get out,” he said.

Musengezi’s challenge is due to be heard in the High Court today and he told NewsDay yesterday that he suspects that the attack was carried out by suspected Zanu PF and State security agents.

He said he was now fearing for his life after the attack which destroyed part of his home and vehicle worth thousands in United States dollars.

He said he was in a state of shock after the arson attack.

“We are still trying to come to terms with it. The army and police are here trying to investigate what actually happened. The police have so far taken a statement from me and you may get more information from the police,” Musengezi said.

“On my way home, I saw three cars among them two Toyota Hilux trucks (GD6) and a small car parked in front of my house. When I got closer, those cars immediately left. I got inside the house and the car alarm suddenly went off. I looked through the window and I saw four men, two were armed. They started damaging my car and they threw a bomb. They shouted “no one is leaving that house” and threw another bomb inside my house. But we are all safe, we escaped,” he added.

Musengezi took the onus to bell the proverbial cat in a bold court challenge against Mnangagwa’s legitimacy.

He argues the Zimbabwean incumbent was unjustly elevated to the Zanu PF top job by party allies in the aftermath of the shock military assisted coup against late former President Robert Mugabe November 2017.

The court challenge is a potential banana skin in the wake of the veteran politician’s bid to secure his second straight mandate as Zanu PF first secretary in a party elective congress later this month.

The position will also earn Mnangagwa the ticket to become party candidate for the 2023 presidential elections.

No party politician has since stood up to bid for the position although there are strong signs of undercurrents playing out within the party against Mnangagwa’s incumbency.

The suspected arson incident on Musengezi’s home is the first act of alleged physical attack on the activist since he launched the challenge against Mnangagwa.

— ZimLive/NewsDay


Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.