SAD NEWS: Woman dies after doctor mistakenly cut her intestines during an operation


A gynaecologist is under fire after an alleged mistake during an operation led to the death of a woman.

Dr Felix Simango was reported to have mistakenly cut the intestines of the late Kudzai Gweme who was giving birth through a C-section at CBD Specialist Hospital and Maternity.

The 34-year-old Kudzai was buried on Unity Day in Domboshava.

A second operation after Kudzai’s tummy swelled showed that Dr Simango had mistakenly cut part of her intestines.

Kudzai was referred to Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals for further management where she died before a third operation.

Article continues below these jobs...

Kudzai’s husband, David Mverechena, told H-Metro that one of his relatives, Jacob Ngarivhume attacked Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals over his wife’s death without the full facts.

“I am failing to find peace following the death of my wife due to negligence by Dr Simango,” said David.

“I was with him together with another doctor when they did a second operation to find the cause of the infection that was causing her tummy to swell.

“They discovered that part of the intestines had been cut, and Dr Simango apologised.

“We were referred to Parirenyatwa for further management, and my wife died before a third operation.

“We do not blame either CBD Specialist Hospital or Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals, but Dr Simango for failing to discharge his duties.”

Dr Simango told H-Metro that he could not comment since the matter was too sensitive.

“I am aware of the late Kudzai Gweme incident, but honestly, I am not in a position to comment since the matter is too sensitive and for professional reasons,” said Dr Simango.

However, Ngarivhume had claimed his relative died due to negligence by Parirenyatwa Hospital.

“I have been helping my sister look after her daughter and she died after going through a C-section operation to deliver her third baby at Pari.

“The doctors made a mistake and cut her intestines. She then developed an infection. They took her for a second operation to correct the error, this didn’t work.

“A third procedure was planned to clean her up, but sadly she suffered a cardiac arrest and died,” Ngarivhume tweeted.

In a statement, Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals, denied the allegations stating that the operation was done at a private hospital and the patient was only referred to them for further management.

“We would like to put the record straight that this patient was not operated on at Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals, but at one of the private health care facilities,” reads the statement dismissing reports carried by some sections of the media quoting Ngarivhume.

— HMetro

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.