Boy dies after eating peanut butter laced with rat poison


A 14-YEAR-OLD boy from Gokwe died after eating peanut butter laced with rat killer.

His grandmother had baited rats with the poisoned peanut butter at her homestead.

Chrispen Usvawengavi of Masemo Village under Chief Chireya stayed with his grandmother Ms Mapeto Gumbo.

Family spokesperson Mr Tinei Tafara confirmed the incident which happened last week on Monday.

“We lost our 14-year-old nephew to rat poison. His grandmother Ms Gumbo had laced peanut butter with poison which she wanted to spread around her kitchen in an attempt to get rid of rats. When Crispen returned from playing with his friends, he ate the peanut butter,” said Mr Tafara.

“He immediately started complaining of stomach pains, started vomiting and his temperature shot up. He told his grandmother that he had consumed peanut butter which he found in her bedroom hut. We ferried him to the clinic in a scotch cart and he was pronounced dead on arrival at the clinic”.

He said the family was still to come to terms with the sudden death.

“As a family we are still shocked about the incident. We never expected it and we are still trying to come to terms with the loss. He was such a passionate young boy full of life,” Mr Tafara said.

Chief Chireya said: “I can confirm that a 14-year-old boy from Masemo Village died after he ate peanut butter which was laced with rat killer”.

Midlands police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Ethel Mukwende could not be reached for comment.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.