LATEST: Mugabe spotted at Singapore hospital where Grace once assaulted a journalist


Former Zimbabwe president Robert Mugabe visited a hospital in Singapore this week apparently for medical checks, his first trip outside his country since he was ousted from office last month, sources in Singapore said on Thursday.

The 93-year-old former leader who ruled the southern African nation for 37 years, resigned after the army and his ruling ZANU-PF party turned against him when it became clear that his 52-year-old wife, Grace, was being groomed as his successor.

Mugabe left Harare with his wife and aides on Monday evening, a Zimbabwe state security official said this week. He was expected to also visit Malaysia where his daughter is expecting a child.

An Air Zimbabwe flight arrived in Singapore on Tuesday.

Mugabe visited a private hospital in central Singapore on Wednesday with an entourage that included his security guards, the sources who were familiar with the visit told Reuters.

They spoke on the condition they were not identified as they are not authorised to speak to the media.

A spokesman at the hospital said he would not be able to confirm whether Mugabe had visited its clinics.

Mugabe has a reputation for extensive international travel, including regular medical trips to Singapore – a source of public anger among his impoverished citizens.

In August 2017 former first lady Grace Mugabe was briefly detained by no nonsense police in Singapore after she assaulted reporters and threw their cellphones into a pond at this hospital. She had to reimburse the victims, about $1300 USD each to secure her release.

In addition, Grace Mugabe’s protocol team went on overdrive, paying hefty sums of money to reporters in the Southeast Asia city state to prevent the ‘assault and detention’ making its way to front pages of newspapers. However it eventually did.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.