A Masvingo murderer was recently slapped with the death penalty by the High Court for shooting dead a vendor.

As if that was not enough, Isaac Mlambo has been slapped with a further 37 effective years for attempted murder and robbery.

Isaac Mlambo pleaded not guilty to five counts of attempted murder and three counts of robbery when he appeared before Masvingo regional magistrate Colet Ncube on Monday. He was convicted due to overwhelming evidence and sentenced to 25 years, five each for the five counts of attempted murder and 18 years, six each for three counts of armed robbery.

Ncube suspended two years from each count of armed robbery for five years on condition of good behaviour.

Mlambo robbed and shot dead Witness Chimbaya and allegedly seriously injured Samuel Gwanhema, Justin Moyo and Kudakwashe Nyamayevhu.

"You robbed Russell Chigudu and Tinashe Gwanyanya of some money amounting to R11,419, $77 and airtime recharge cards worth several dollars," said Ncube.

Mlambo who was already clad in red prison garb denied the charge saying he was never in possession of a gun although he admitted being at the scene of crime.

"I was never in possession of a firearm. My accomplice who is at large is the one who had a firearm. I was surprised to hear gun shots. I knew him from the Eastern Cape in South Africa where we were staying together," said Mlambo.

Prosecutor Mukai Mutumhe told the court that on December 26, 2013 at around 7.30AM, Mlambo arrived at Ngundu Growth Point's Nyaningwe Supermarket, about 100km along Masvingo-Beitbridge Road in the company of his accomplice and shot at vendors who scurried for cover.

"At around 7.30AM Mlambo and his accomplice who is at large arrived at Ngundu Business Centre. They opened fire on the patrons and vendors who were conducting their business at Nyaningwe," said Mutumhe.

"The mob scurried for cover but Mlambo who was armed, shot and injured the three before robbing them of money. After taking the money he ran towards a mountain with the mob in hot pursuit."

The court heard that the crowd followed Mlambo into the mountain with Takaedza Mananavire and David Tsindikira leading them. Mananavire outsprinted Mlambo and waylaid him.

He saw the armed Mlambo coming and tripped him to the ground. Mananavire then dived on top of Mlambo while Tsindikira disarmed Mlambo of a 9 mm pistol.

Mlambo was then apprehended by members of the public who then took him to Ngundu Police Station.

The injured were rushed to Ngundu Hospital where they were treated and discharged.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.