Mentally challenged man kills granny with hoe handle, buries her in shallow grave in her hut


A SUSPECTED mentally-challenged 28-year-old Mudzi man last week killed his 100-year-old grandmother after a misunderstanding over the sale of a family beast and buried her remains in a shallow pit inside her hut.

Blessing Chibvembe of Chikwaka village, Chief Nyakuchena in Mudzi, is currently in police custody following the alleged murder of his granny, Lucia Muzeya.

Mashonaland East acting provincial police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Tendai Mwanza confirmed the incident and appealed to the public to ensure that mentally-challenged persons are closely monitored to avoid such tragedies.

“I confirm receiving the news on the death of a 100-year-old woman who was allegedly struck to death by her grandson using a hoe handle in Mudzi. As police, we appeal to parents or guardians of mental patients to ensure that their mentally-challenged children or relatives are properly taking prescribed medication at all times to avoid lapsing into violent and dangerous behaviour that puts the lives of those around them into such unfortunate satiations,” he said.

According to police, on March 29, the suspect, who is a known mental patient, was at home with the now-deceased and his biological mother, Chino Nyamuyaruka.

It is reported that a local cattle buyer arrived at the homestead with the intention of buying the family’s ox.

The buyer was taken to the cattle pen, where he was shown the beast on sale. This allegedly angered the accused who was opposed to the deal.

Chibvembe allegedly picked a hoe handle and charged towards her mother, who ran away for dear life, living the aged Muzeya behind.

The accused then pounced on the hapless woman and struck her twice on the head using the wooden hoe handle, killing her instantly.

After the alleged murder, he dragged her remains into the kitchen hut, where he dug a shallow grave before burying her.

Nyamuyaruka then returned home and failed to locate her mother.

The family became inquisitive after discovering fresh mounts of earth in the kitchen hut.

They dug up the soil, recovered Muzeya’s lifeless body and reported the matter at Makosa Police Station, leading to the accused’s arrest.

– NewsDay

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.