MDC Alliance leader Nelson Chamisa and his party weekend went back on their vows to proceed with their banned ‘thank you’ rally which was set for Mbizo stadium in Kwekwe on Sunday.
Police last week banned the gathering citing a typhoid scare in Gweru.
The Alliance however vowed to proceed insisting police had been informed of the planned gathering as was required by the country’s security laws.
A defiant MDC national organising secretary Amos Chibaya Saturday told NewZimbabwe late Saturday the rally was going to proceed.
An immediate attempt to seek recourse with the courts failed as the hearing for the matter was set down for 2pm this Monday, eliciting angry comments from the MDC legislator who accused the local courts of being “captured”.
Even after the court decision, the MDC insisted the rally was going ahead.
“In Kwekwe, our youths are on the ground working in preparation for the rally. I myself will be there to explain the challenge to our supporters,” Chibaya said.
However, on Sunday, the Alliance backtracked from its defiant stance, choosing to wait for the courts’ decision instead.
“We are waiting for tomorrow’s (Monday) court ruling, then we give another day,” Chibaya said.
There was no activity at the rally venue on Sunday with Chamisa indicating on twitter that he was attending a church service in Harare.
Chamisa’s rallies were aimed at thanking Zimbabweans who voted for him as he still insists he won the July 30 elections if it was not for alleged Zanu PF rigging.
Chamisa says he will stop at nothing to force President Emmerson Mnangagwa and his party to the negotiating table to discuss the much needed electoral reforms.