Latest on armed robbers who murdered High Court sheriff after he offered them lift


Three more men appeared in court on Monday over the highway killings of a High Court sheriff and a motorist.

John Robbin aka Jah, Misheck Neshamba and Kingswell Ngwerume were arraigned before Harare magistrate Rumbidzai Mugwagwa but were not formally charged.

Francis Alimonso, 36, and Day Kaseke, 26, are already on remand over the killing of a High Court sheriff, Takudzwa Karasa, 30, after he offered them a lift to Ruwa on September 14.

The gang is also alleged to have killed Isheanesu Brian Kadenge, 24, after he offered them a lift to Norton on October 1.

The police successfully sought the trio’s further detention as they are yet to make formal indications at the crime scenes.

They appeared to have been heavily assaulted, but they did not complain against the police.

Ngwerume begged the court to be sent to remand prison not back to the police cells. He complained of hunger.

The investigating officer, Simbarashe Maruzive, applied for further detention of the trio saying they are yet to make formal indications of how they committed the crimes.

“They are facing two murder charges as well as four counts of armed robbery,” said Maruzive. “They were arrested around midnight Sunday and as such we are yet to make recoveries of goods they robbed from the deceased.

“They are also yet to make formal indications at the crime scenes.”

The officer told court that they did not deny the men food but they left the police station before breakfast was prepared.

Karasa was driving a government truck on September 14 this year when the gang flagged him down in Epworth, saying they were heading to Ruwa.

Sebastian Mutizirwa, prosecuting, said when they reached Mara Farm, one of the men indicated that he had reached his destination.

Kasara stopped the vehicle and without warning, the men pounced on him. It is alleged they cut off the seat belts before they dragged him for about 50 meters into the bush.

They tore Karasa’a suit and used it to blindfold him. The gang used the seat belts to tie his legs and hands and went on to tie him to a tree using his torn suit.

The attackers then demanded his EcoCash PIN before they struck him with a blunt object. They stole $80 which he had in his pockets and shared it.

Kasara’s body was not found until two days later by a woman fetching firewood.

The alleged killers drove around in Karasa’s government vehicle before they dumped it in central Harare.

On October 1, using the same modus operandi, the gang asked for a lift from Kadenge saying they were going to Norton.

When they reached Lake Chivero turn-off, one of the suspects requested to be dropped off.

The men then attacked Kadenge and tore his clothes which they used to tie him to a tree in Mbizi Game Park.

His body was also discovered two days later by one Silindeni Mwachebe, 66, who was taking a comfort break in the bush.

The killers took Kadenge’s vehicle and dumped it in Harare CBD.

Kaseke and Alimonso were arrested in Epworth after they used the dead men’s phones to make calls. They gave police names of their accomplices and led investigators to stolen goods including wallets and cellphones belonging to the dead men.

The duo were on bail after challenging their conviction and sentence for a murder whose details were not revealed in court.

Police say they are still looking for one more suspect in connection with the crimes.

— ZimLive

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.