THE Civil Service Commission has initiated the process of retiring the 3384 Youth Officers.
They will be given their full retirement benefits and post-retirement opportunities such as vocational training and access to empowerment programmes, the government has announced.
In a statement issued by Public Service Commission Secretary, Ambassador Jonathan Wutawunashe, some of the empowerment options available to the retired youths include access to loans and business start-up finance.
He however emphasized that these empowerment will be driven by demand, and those willing to take up opportunities should approach Kirsty Coventry’s ministry of Youth, Sport, Arts and Recreation district offices.
The measures were announced by the Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube while presenting the 2019 budget statement on 22 November.
Said Prof Mthuli Ncube: “Mr Speaker Sir, the Youth Officers who still remain on the payroll, are being retired and the posts removed from the establishment, by end of December 2018.
“The 2019 National Budget is further operationalising the policy stance of retiring Government officials above the age of 65.
The Finance Minister said responsible departments were being directed to process and finalise all due retirements.
ZOOMZimbabwe understands that each of the former National Youth Service graduates was getting $446 in basic income and other monthly benefits.
Speaking to us over these developments, economic analyst Rufaro Machinga welcomed the move.
“Cutting the number of youth officers that had been deployed with no designation was a good decision made by the Government. These youths were taking about $1,6 million monthly in salaries,” said Machinga.
“Cumulatively this was more than $30 million per year, which was an unnecessary burden on the Government. We’re looking forward to the achievement of a sound budget through the retrenchment of the youth officers, abolishment of unnecessary foreign trips, reducing foreign missions as well as early retirement of civil servants.”
Former Finance Minister Patrick Chinamasa intended to fire these youths officers popularly know as Green Bombers in January 2018, but government shelved the idea apparently for fear of becoming unpopular ahead of the July 30 elections.
The national youth service workers were reinstated by former president Robert Mugabe in July last year after they had initially been fired by the ministry of Public Service.