SAD NEWS: Another man dies after being brutally bashed by soldiers


A 29-year-old man violently assaulted by soldiers in Mutare on January 20 died on Friday after suffering renal failure, doctors said.

Father-of-two Noah Sahombe died at Harare’s Parirenyatwa Hospital after suffering “extensive tissue damage”, the Zimbabwe Association of Doctors for Human Rights (ZADHR) said.

“He developed renal failure as a result of extensive tissue damage following the heavy assault,” said Dr Norman Matara of the ZADHR.

Sahombe, a resident of Zimunya in Mutare, left behind a 24-year-old wife and two children aged five and three.

Human rights groups accuse soldiers – who remain deployed countrywide following widespread fuel price protests on January 14 – of carrying out arbitrary detentions, beatings and killings.

The exact number of dead is yet to be established, but doctors say they have treated hundreds of people, nearly a 100 of who suffered gunshot wounds.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa has defended the deployment of the military, while accusing the opposition MDC of working with the United States and Britain to create conditions for the overthrow of his government.

This comes just a week after another man died on Sunday, hours after being savagely beaten by soldiers in Harare.

Kudakwashe Rixon, 22, was returning home from work at the Long Cheng Plaza last Saturday and had just disembarked at the Copacabana terminus when he was seized by a group of soldiers in uniform, according to a police report seen by ZimLive.

“They dragged him to their motor vehicle (Puma) which was parked nearby. The team then ordered Rixon and other male adults who were there to lie down in the vehicle on their stomachs. The driver drove off to an unknown bushy area where the team ordered all the people to get out of the lorry by falling down,” the police report of the incident reported at Harare Central Police Station under crime reference I.R 011951 says.

Once outside the army truck, Rixon and the other men were repeatedly struck with “wire-fastened sjamboks, knobkerries and iron rods.”

Rixon proceeded to his home on Canaan Chipunza Street in Mbare where his family observed that his back was swollen, with visible marks of the severe beating with crude weapons.

At 8AM on Sunday, Rixon complained of severe abdominal pains. He was also failing to release stool. He died before admission at Harare Hospital.

— Kukurigo

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.