Vice President Constantino Chiwenga rushed to hospital


VICE President Constantino Chiwenga was reportedly rushed to hospital at the weekend after a fresh health scare.

Chiwenga’s motorcade was seen late Sunday, at a private hospital in Harare but insiders said he was not detained.

“He went home after a short check-up. He is not well and needed to be checked by doctors,” NewZimbabwe heard.

The former Commander Defence Forces who engineered the coup that toppled former President Robert Mugabe and paved the way for President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s rise to power, has struggled with his health since then.

Chiwenga has shown signs of irritation in public and at some point had to be airlifted to South Africa before being flown to India early this year.

Chiwenga was attacked by a rare disease during Operation Restore Legacy when President Robert Mugabe was ousted from power following a military intervention in November 2017.

Speaking at the burial of his sister Margaret Machekabuwe at Machekabuwe farm in May 2018, Chiwenga said the illness caused the lightening of his skin prompting some sections of the media to speculate that he was applying skin lightening creams.

“Today we want to set the record straight on one issue now that journalists are here. When we did our operation to normalise things in the country, I was with General (Phillip Valerio) Sibanda and many others, they are brave men indeed.

“We also informed vaMatanga (then Deputy Commissioner General of police but now Commissioner General) about the plan,” Chiwenga said.

He said it was during that time that he fell ill.

“It was during that time that I fell ill. I had this skin disease (nhuta) that affected my whole body from beneath my feet to my back and the journalists started saying I was using skin lightening creams but that was not the case. I was sick,” he said.

Chiwenga said some samples were taken to South Africa but they could not provide medication for the disease.

“I have decided to talk about it because that is what you see but you should know that everything that happens comes with a price,” he said.

“We then sent everything to South Africa to find out what was causing the sickness but they failed to treat it.

“It was then that my (late) sister Margaret approached Sister Redemptor (Roman Catholic nun) and was given herbs that I began taking until I was healed.

But before I took the medication they also prayed for me.

“This is what had affected me and had also affected my wife,” said Chiwenga.

More to follow …

— NewZimbabwe/Chronicle

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.