LATEST: 2 women in hot soup over Brighton Elliot Moyo's fake resurrection

0

The National Prosecuting Authority has confirmed two women will apply for bail in the Johannesburg Magistrates Court on Wednesday in connection with the fake resurrection of Brighton Elliot Moyo.

NPA spokesperson Phindi Louw-Mjonondwane said, “They are in custody. They will be appearing in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court (soon) to apply for bail,” she said.

Police spokesperson Capt Mavela Masondo said in March that SAPS was investigating three cases of fraud opened in connection with the “resurrection” incident.

“One case was opened by a funeral parlour based here in Gauteng, another case was opened by people who said they were concerned citizens, and a third one was opened by pastor Mboro [Paseka Motsoeneng],” said Masondo.

Mboro had staged a protest at Lukau’s offices for “bringing Christianity into disrepute” and opened a case at the Sandton police station.

Kings and Queens funeral parlour denied any knowledge of the deceased or selling the coffin to the church.

Brighton Moyo, the man falsely “brought back to life”, has meanwhile died of pneumonia in his home country of Zimbabwe, TimesLIVE reported this week. There he was known as Thabiso Proud Mlanje, 28.

Initially dubbed “Elliot” by Alleluia Ministries, he had on a previous occasion been “healed” from being confined to a wheelchair, a colleague of his said.

Moyo, who according to his family had been in SA since 2011, had been employed by a customised door manufacturing company prior to going missing after the “resurrection” hoax.

The church had denied knowing in advance that it was a “fake miracle”.

“At no stage did pastor Alph claim that he resurrected the person shown in the video, who was identified to him as Elliot. From the video footage, it is clearly stated that when the mortuary vehicle arrived at the church premises, there was already movement in the coffin. Prior to even praying for Elliot, pastor Alph states that Elliot is in fact breathing,” said the church in statement issued at the time the scandal first broke.

Mlanje died on April 3 and was buried at his late father’s home in Dandanda Village, Lupane in Zimbabwe. He was 28 and is survived by a wife and two children.

— TimesLive


Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.

Loading...