SIX teachers at Guinea Fowl High School and their families were left homeless after fire gutted down two housing blocks at the school. The fire broke out around 5pm at one of the teachers lodgings following a suspected electrical fault and according to the Midlands Provincial Education Director, Reverend Tedious Matienga, no one was injured.
This comes as fire also suspected to have started from an electrical fault, gutted part of Hatzell High School blocks in Mutare two weeks ago. Jameson High school in Kadoma was also gutted by fire last month. Boys kitchen and dining hall were destroyed.
Confirming the incident, Rev Matienga said they were still accessing the extent of damage.
“I can confirm that we have received a report of fire outbreak at Guinea Fowl High School,” he said.
“Fortunately there were no fatalities. However, we are still investigating the extent of damage. I could not manage to travel to the school today due to other pressing commitments.” Gweru City Council public relations officer Mr Manford Gambiza said the local authority’s fire brigade quickly responded and managed to put out the fire.
“It took us 10 minutes to get there and put out the fire,” he said.
“There was an extensive damage to property as two blocks were already gutted by the fire. We suspect an electric fault.” Mr Gambiza dismissed reports circulating on social media that one of the council tankers had no water. “Social media is awash with reports that one of our tankers had no water, which is false and I would like to urge the Gweru community to desist from circulating misleading information,” he said.
Sources at the school said the six teachers and their families have since been accommodated in one of the dormitories since pupils are on holiday. “The school is looking for suitable accommodation for these teachers and their families,” said the source.