Council speaks on fire which gutted Walter Magaya‘s hotel, chief fire officer reveals more details


THE Harare City Council‘s fire division suspects that the fire that destroyed part of Walter Magaya‘s hotel in Waterfalls started when workers started a generator.

The Fire Division also noted with great concern that there were no emergency exits in the boarding houses.

Acting Chief Fire Officer Mr Lovemore Mafukidze has confirmed that preliminary investigations point to the generator.

“Information gathered by both attending officers suggests that as there was no electricity in the area and the fire started soon after the occupants had started their generator for lighting purposes of the hotel complex.

“It might have been an electrical fault. The Division also noted with great concern that there were no emergency exits in the boarding houses. Therefore, the Division recommends that these emergency exits be made available.” he said.

Article continues below these jobs...

“On 4 July 2019, there was a fire at PHD Ministries Hotel in Waterfalls. The Hotel covers an area of approximately 80 by 70 metres and the affected area which is the southern end of the hotel complex covers an area of approximately 40 by 30 metres used as boarding houses.

“The Emergency Services received a call at 17:38 hours, two fire tenders were promptly dispatched to the scene of fire, and a water carrier responded at 17:53 hours together with a command vehicle,” Mr Mafukidze said.

He said the team faced no challenges to put down the fire as they were fully equipped and had enough manpower.

“The Division faced no challenges at all since water was readily available. The first attending Officer in charge on mobilising control room informed them that the building was well alight so did the second attending officer in charge.

“A portable pump was set up drawing water from the swimming pool within the hotel to replenish the first attending fire engine.

“Two hose reels, one jet, and four breathing apparatus were used during the fire fighting process. Another water carrier arrived at 18:21 hours with additional water.

The Assistant Divisional Officer attended at 18:21 and directed fire fighting operations thereby preventing the spread of fire to other wings.

The fire was declared under control at 18:43 hours and damping down continued up to 20:01 hours when fire fighting was complete,” Mr Mafukidze said.

— Harare City

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.