Man pours 5 litres of petrol on girlfriend, burns her and flees to South Africa after being dumped


A man from Gwangwai Village under Chief Ndahwi in Gutu who set his ex-lover alight after dousing her with five litres of petrol has been sentenced to life in prison by Judge during a sitting on Friday.

Justice Garainesu Mawadze described Liverson Mukubwa (40) as callous and the murder of Violet Tohwechipi (30) of Mafuva Village, Chief Nerupiri premeditated before he slapped him with the second most punitive sentence on the books.

Mukubwa (40) of Gwangwai Village under Chief Ndahwi in Gutu was sentenced on Friday last week for murdering Violet Tohwechipi (30) of Mafuva Village, Chief Nerupiri, Gutu whom he burnt with five litres of petrol.

The State led by Sophia Bhusvuman said that Mukubwa could not stomach being dumped by his girlfriend. He then bought five litres of petrol from Masvingo, had it transported to Nerupiri Business Centre and used it to burn the deceased. She said that Mukubwa was seen by Tamari Mahlaba at Chidzerwe Bottle store with a five litre Castrol oil container which had fuel and was recovered by Cephas Kunamira of Gutu ZRP at the murder scene.

Justice Mawadze handed the life sentence after concluding that Mukubwa had a murderous intent as he pre-planned the murder and showed no remorse; furthermore his sentence was also stiffened by the fact that he is an illegal cross border who ran away to South Africa for two years after committing the act.

“We are actually shocked by the brutality you showed in this matter. Women have a right to walk in and out of a relationship. You come to court and allege that she burnt herself. She was 30 and left an orphan. This was a preplanned murder, you had the time to come to your senses but you did not,” said Justice Mawadze.

It was the State Case that on July 6, 2014 around 4am at Mafuva Village under Chief Chief Nerupiri in Gutu, Mukubwa burnt the deceased after being dumped and she was heard crying by a neighbor, Rabson Mapasure who found her naked with her skin peeling off.

She was rushed to Nerupiri Clinic and was transferred to Masvingo Provincial Hospital where she passed away on the same day.

Doctor Godfrey Zimbwa conducted an autopsy and concluded that the deceased died of burns after noting that over 80% of her body was severely burnt.

Mukubwa ran away to South Africa and was caught in 2016 when he returned.

— Mirror

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.