Brothers regret killing fellow villager over a petty issue

MUTARE: A High Court Judge has sentenced two Chimanimani brothers to 16 years each after they brutally killed a fellow villager who demanded cash and a cell phone they had seized from him.
Justice Charles Hungwe convicted the pair, Admire Churwaire and Philemon Mhondera, for murder with constructive intention.
Hungwe said all evidence gathered proved beyond any reasonable doubt that it was a premeditated plan to kill Liberty Murenje.
He said the way the two inflicted injuries on Murenje as per post mortem report clearly showed that they were heartless and vicious.
Hungwe said the way an injured Murenje was dumped proved that the two brothers wanted their victim to die.
“The court is surprised that you were not even provoked on the day you killed Murenje. You acted in a callous manner because you were not provoked,” said Hungwe while delivering the verdict.
Hungwe said locking the two was the best possible option to take so they find time to re-think their actions and the way they serve the community and themselves too.
Prosecutor Jane Matsikidze told the court that the two imposed a ban on Murenje not to visit Kurwaisimba business centre because he had demanded cash and a cell phone which they had taken from him.
Murenje reportedly defied the ban on October 14, 2013 and went to the business centre in the company of his brothers, Blessing Ziyomo and Moses Mavhunga.
Churwaire and Mhondera saw Murenje in the company of his two brothers and ordered to come to Futumuka Flangenge bar.
Murenje complied and they told him to leave the place. The deceased and his brothers further complied but the pair followed them and started insulting them.
Murenje and his brothers took to their heels the two caught up with Ziyomo whom they heavily assaulted.
They later caught up with Murenje whom they assaulted with broken bottles and logs all over the body before they stabbed him with an okapi knife in the stomach.
After committing the offence, they dragged Murenje and dumped him in a pit which was abandoned by the gold panners.
A search party found Murenje the following day half naked, bleeding profusely and unable to talk.
He was rushed to Rusitu Mission hospital. He was later transferred to Mutare Provincial where he later died.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.