KUTONGA KWARO GARWE: President Mnangagwa to ensure that every Zimbabwean affords basic commodities

0

NEW subsidies for at least seven basic commodities will be introduced soon to relieve the nation from relentless price increases, while a new policy is set to be unveiled to provide affordable housing to people, President Emmerson Mnangagwa has said.

The President also revealed that more doctors are set to return to work after some of them confessed that they had been misled by their colleagues who have ulterior motives behind the ongoing strike. The new intervention on basic commodities follows last week’s reintroduction of grain subsidies, which will halve the price of roller meal to $50.

Addressing the Zimbabwe Liberation War Collaborators Organisation (Ziliwaco) National Conference in Harare yesterday, President Mnangagwa said his administration would continue to provide safety nets for vulnerable members of society.

“One of your grievances raised here was that of price increases. You already know what we have done by reversing the price of mealie-meal. We reversed it on Wednesday and we are going to gazette a Statutory Instrument by Monday (tomorrow) to reduce mealie-meal to $50,” said President Mnangagwa.

“We are now going to fix the price of mealie-meal so that it is affordable to the ordinary people and we pay the difference through the subsidy. In addition to that, we have also chosen about seven basic commodities which we are going to subsidise. These are basics used by a traditional family, and we want these basic foods to be cheaper. For example, if a product was selling for $20, you will buy at $12, then Government will pay the remaining $8 so that people can buy at a low price,” he said.

Furthermore, the newly created Ministry of National Housing and Social Amenities, the President said, will soon unveil a massive housing programme countrywide. He also reiterated that there was a hidden hand behind the ongoing strike by some doctors, who have not been reporting for duty since September 3 citing incapacitation. But more doctors, in addition to the 46 that have already taken up Government’s offer, have expressed their interest to return to work, he added.

— SundayNews


Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.

Loading...