A 14-year-old girl from Kwekwe committed suicide by taking poison after she was allegedly confronted over a missing US$5.
The teenager, who was in Form 1 at Manunure High School in Mbizo, downed a bottle of pesticide after her grandmother allegedly confronted her over a missing US$5.
The girl was found by her grandmother in a pool of blood, at their home in Mbizo 10 and was rushed to Kwekwe General Hospital where she died upon admission.
Kwekwe District schools inspector Bernard Mazambani could not readily confirm the incident saying he was out of town for the whole week.
Officer Commanding Kwekwe Police Chief Superintendent Conrad Mubaiwa also said he was out of town and was yet to receive the report.
This news crew, however, attended the funeral at Mbizo 10 cemetery on Sunday.
A sombre atmosphere engulfed the burial with relatives, schoolmates and neighbours seemingly yet to come to terms with the sudden death.
Sources, however, who spoke to this news crew on condition of anonymity claimed that the now deceased died on Friday afternoon as soon as she returned from school.
“She took poison after her grandmother confronted her over a missing US$5. We are not sure what the grandmother said to her and she told her that she could not take the “abuse” anymore. At first everyone thought she was joking but moments later, we learnt of the sad news,” said a source who refused to be named.
Another source said the now deceased had a misunderstanding while at school with a classmate, who also happened to be her neighbour.
“She had a fight with her neighbour’s child at school where they exchanged painful and personal words. They later came home and told their elders about the issue. Upon confronting her, she bolted out of the house making suicidal threats but no one took her seriously,” said a source.
“She later came back and stood outside telling them that she had drunk the poison and was now waiting to die, but again nobody took her seriously,” further explained the source.
The girl was later found lying in a pool of blood, bleeding from the mouth and nose and rushed to hospital where she died upon admission.