MDC Alliance secretary-general Chalton Hwende says out of the Party’s 111 MPs, 109 of them have confirmed that they are still Members of the MDC Alliance Party.
Mwonzora said all the 109 MPs are paid up members and only Morgen Komichi and Douglas Mwonzora have crossed the floor to join MDC-T in violation of electoral laws.
Hwende has signed an affidavit form in which he swore his allegiance to the MDC Alliance. He said:
I, Chalton Hwende do hereby make an oath and state that
1. I am a member of parliament for Kuwadzana East Constituency. I was elected as such /appointed as such pursuant to the 30 July 2018 election on MDC Alliance party ticket.
2. I confirm that I am a member of the MDC Alliance political party
3. I confirm that the President of our party is Adv Nelson Chamisa and the Secretary-General is Chalton Hwende with other leaders that were elected at our congress in Gweru in May 2019
4. I confirm that I am bound by the Party constitution, the code of ethics and the pledge that is contained in our party constitution
5. 1 confirm that undertake to uphold our party constitution and to respect and show loyalty to the said constitution and the leadership of the party. I undertake to defend the party in all circumstances.
Komichi and Mwonzora dumped the MDC alliance after the Supreme Court ruled that Thokozani is the legitimate leader of the opposition MDC-T party.
The duo failed in their bid to become MDC Alliance vice president and secretary-general, respectively at the party congress held in Gweru in 2019.