President Emmerson Mnangagwa has announced the extension of the national lockdown by a further two weeks, albeit at Level 2.
Addressing the media at State House on Friday afternoon, President Mnangagwa said that in extending and relaxing the national lockdown, the government seeks to save people’s lives while at the same time saving the national economy.
The relaxation for the lockdown entails the following adjustments:
- All people must wear masks (including homemade) outside homes.
- The reopening of industry and commerce, provided employers provide rapid testing, social distance and sanitisation
- Operating hours from 8am to 3pm
- Informal sector remains closed except agriculture and food supply
- Small taxis and combis are still not permitted
- Buses will operate, but with social distancing, sanitisation, masks and temperature checks.
- Returning residents and international travellers will be put on 21-day mandatory quarantine with full testing on day 1, day 8 and day 21.
- Churches, gyms, bars, bottle stores and other recreational facilities remain closed.
More to follow…