THE Ministry of Health and Child Care confirmed Saturday 14 new positive Covid-19 cases, taking the country’s cumulative total to 174 since the onset of the outbreak in March this year.
According to the latest ministry update, seven of the new cases were returnees with five from South Africa and the other two from Botswana and the United Kingdom.
Zimbabwe has so far recorded four deaths from the pandemic with 29 patients having recovered while 141 remain active.
The country remains on Level 2 lockdown which was extended indefinitely by President Emmerson Mnangagwa with partial easing of restrictions on some sectors of the economy.
Meanwhile the government has said security will be tightened at quarantine centres around the country after dozens of returnees escaped from the isolation facilities.
“It has been the Government’s position that security be heightened so that we reduce the spread of the coronavirus.
“Government is even working on introducing drones so that we increase security measures in border areas,” information minister Senator Monica Mutsvangwa told the Sunday Mail.
More than 118 people have bolted from isolation centres since the lockdown began and 23 have so far been arrested.
Some 6,000 Zimbabweans have returned home over the past few weeks, mostly from South Africa and Botswana.