The Zimbabwe Republic Police has confirmed the arrest of six more people in connection with the foiled plot by Ms Henrietta Rushwaya, Zimbabwe Miners Federation President (ZMF). to smuggle six 6kg of gold to Dubai.
- Ali Mohamad of the car dealership Ali Japan 786, whom Rushwaya allegedly fingered as the source of the four gold bars found in her luggage.
- Two security services officers, Stephen Chenjerai Tserayi, and Rafius Mufandauya, who may have been involved in the attempt to get Rushwaya through the security checks with her gold.
- Gift Karanda who national police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi last night said, when confirming the four arrests, had allegedly lied that he was a member of the Central Intelligence Organisation (CIO) after he went to the airport to assist Rushwaya.
- Superintendent Shoko and,
- Det. Chief Inspector Chimhungu.
The state yesterday applied to withdraw their consent for bail for Rushwaya who remains in custody until Friday following her arrest at Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport on Monday morning.
Prosecutors had initially agreed to $90 000 plus the surety of title deeds to her lawyer’s Borrowdale property.
Rushwaya is expected in court on Friday when the Harare Magistrates Courts will rule on whether or not the State can withdraw its earlier consent and if so whether Rushwaya can still be admitted to bail, and if so under what conditions.
Meanwhile, her arrest has caused concern as to how much the country could be losing through smuggling of minerals through porous borders.
– Herald/ZRP Twitter