BONGIWE Mnciba, who was allegedly burnt to death by her ex, was buried on Sunday 29 November.
The 30-year-old from Vosloorus, Ekurhuleni, was allegedly killed by her boyfriend because she broke up with him.
Family spokeswoman and Bongiwe’s sister, Zinhle, (22) said they didn’t have words to express their grief and prayed she got justice.
She said the incident happened at about 9pm on Friday, 20 November.
Zinhle said the murder was planned as residents found the water meter had been turned off when they tried to stop the fire.
“Bongiwe was rushed to the hospital, where she died two days later,” said Zinhle.
She told the SunTeam Bongiwe’s friend said the relationship was abusive.
“They’d been together since 2014, but broke up in February. Clearly, he didn’t take it well,” she said.
Zinhle said she and her family still didn’t have a case number. The one given to them by the police was linked to another case.
Family friend and councillor Linah Mkhize said she was disgusted. She said Bongiwe left behind a 12-year-old daughter.
“Imagine what this will do to the child. We’re basically not safe anywhere in this country,” she said.
Residents held a march against gender-based violence that ended at the cemetery. They said they were living in fear and this needed to end.
Nokuzola Mthiyane (33) said: “We fear the people who are supposed to help us.”
Zandile Dladla (25) said she was also in an abusive relationship, but left before it was too late.
“She said men continue stalking women after they dump them,” she said.
“We’re tired of living like we owe these men favours.”
Londeka Sibiya (37) said she was starting to dislike men because of all the violence.
“You never know how a relationship will end. I’m not sure if I want to be with anyone any time soon,” she said.
Police spokesman Captain Kay Makhubele advised the family to speak to the station commander, and if that didn’t work the provincial police would intervene.
— Daily Sun