ACTIONSA will be pursuing a groundbreaking lawsuit.
It plans to take President Cyril Ramaphosa, Police Minister Bheki Cele, members of the security cluster and the ANC to court following the looting and lawlessness in parts of KZN and Gauteng.
Founder and leader Herman Mashaba announced this during a virtual media briefing on Wednesday, 14 July.
He said Ramaphosa, Cele and the executive had a legal obligation to maintain law and order.
Mashaba said it was their constitutional duty to take reasonable steps to protect and preserve the rule of law.
“A failure to faithfully perform this legal duty must carry consequences as real as those experienced by people who lost their lives and livelihoods because of the executive’s incompetence and wilful inaction.”
Mashaba said the party called on South Africans who had been negatively affected by the violence and looting, to join the lawsuit by sharing their experiences on the party’s website.
“We will engage cases that provide the greatest chance of success. The legal action will be the first of its kind in a democratic SA, and seek to hold the ruling government to account for poor governance.
“We believe there is sufficient jurisprudence that merits this as a strong test case, and assists in holding government to account for its failure to ensure proper law enforcement and protection of lives, livelihoods and property,” he said.
He said pleas for help were met with silence until things were out of control.
“Only on Monday, after days of looting, did the president authorise the deployment of the SANDF, a move that was too little too late,” said Mashaba.