A COUPLE from Nyamandlovu was burnt beyond recognition after forgetting to put off a candle which they had used on their way home from a beer binge.
Sipho Sibanda (53) and his wife, Adelaide Tshuma’s (48) bodies were found on Sunday morning by a neighbour who had come to check on them.
The neighbour noticed that their roof had fallen and household property had been reduced to ashes. On calling out their names to check if they were there, there was no answer.
When he checked, he realised that they had been burnt beyond recognition and reported the matter to the police.
Matabeleland North police provincial spokesperson Inspector Glory Banda confirmed the incident.
He said no foul play is suspected.
“On the 20th of August around 9PM Sipho Sibanda and his wife Adelaide Tshuma were drinking beer in the nearby village, they were latter passed by two villagers namely Mr Banda Chuku a male adult and Mr Maxwell Nkomo. Sibanda and Tshuma were evidently drunk and carrying a candle going to their place of residence,” said Insp Banda.
“On August 21 at around 7AM, Chuku visited Sibanda and found the roof of their bedroom fallen inside. The iron sheets were blackened with smoke and the room full of ashes.”
Insp Banda said Chuku yelled several times calling the couple and there was no response.
“Chuku quickly told his neighbour Elvis Ndlovu who is a police officer. The informant proceeded to Nyamandlovu Police Station and reported the incident and police attended the scene. On examination at the scene, police found two badly burnt bodies which were not identifiable. There was no evidence of any inflammable liquids, there were no foreign foot marks on the yard. it was believed that the couple forgot to put off their lit candle which might have caused the fire,” he said.
Insp Banda said the value of the destroyed household goods is yet to be ascertained.
“No foul play is suspected and necessity for post-mortem was waived by Tsholotsho resident magistrate Mr Victor Mpofu,” he added.