RESIDENTS of Kosovo squatter camp woke up in the early hours of Friday, 3 September to the screams of two lovers whose shack was on fire.
Neighbours said they saw the two drinking and enjoying themselves just hours before they burnt to death.
Residents of the settlement in Philippi, Cape Town, tried to break down the door but it was locked with a chain from the inside.
Xolisa Zikholisiwe (32), who lives next door, said he heard screaming while he was in a deep sleep.
“At first, I thought I was dreaming but I could smell smoke. I woke up and checked through the windows. I saw flames and people trying to put out a fire eating my neighbour’s shack,” he said. “I managed to get out of my shack with a suitcase that was next to my bed. My shack and all my belongings went up in flames.”
George Tanyazi (60) said the man who died was his son Munyangade (37).
“I worked at the same company as him and we would go to work and come back together. I’m shocked that my son is gone,” he said.
George said his son moved to the area from Mitchells Plain just two months ago.
He said the woman who died with his son was his long-time girlfriend who was visiting.
Neighbour Ncumisa Jacobs (40) said the couple died a painful death.
Police spokesman Captain Frederick van Wyk confirmed the incident. He said an inquest docket was being investigated. “At this stage, no foul play is suspected.”
– Daily Sun