THREE hijacking suspects, who have been wanted by the police for a while, have been shot dead.
Police spokesman Colonel Philani Nkwalase said they were linked to 18 hijackings in Gauteng.
“An intelligence-driven operation was conducted by the Hawks’ tactical operational management section, assisted by Tracker Connect, Gauteng crime intelligence, SAPS highway patrol, Gauteng traffic police’s saturation unit, Insurance Crime Bureau and Bad Boyz Security in Roodepoort. This was to search for hijacking suspects who are targeting VW Polo vehicles,” he said.
Nkwalase said the teams had been tailing the suspects and had followed them to Roodepoort.
“They were cornered after hijacking a VW Polo. As members approached them, the suspects greeted them with a hail of bullets. This led to an exchange of gunfire that resulted in three suspects being fatally wounded. Two of them were arrested on the scene,” said Nkwalase.
He said the arrested suspects were aged 25 and 30.
“The injured owner of the Polo, who was held in the car, was rescued and taken to hospital. Three firearms with ammunition, cellphones and heavy duty gloves were recovered.”
Nkwalase said the suspects will be charged with murder, attempted murder, carjacking as well as possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition.
“They will appear in the Johannesburg Magistrates Court on Friday, 10 December. The syndicate members were reportedly using a Golf GTI during the commission of their crimes while in previous occasions, they were using a Toyota Corolla.”
– Daily Sun