Boy burnt beyond recognition after grass thatched toilet he was using caught fire


A three-year-old boy from Bethel Farm, Village 2 in Gutu was burnt beyond recognition last week when a dagga and thatch toilet he was using suddenly caught fire.

The toilet caught fire when the boy’s sister lit dry grass that she and other siblings were weeding out in the yard. The fire from the burnt grass leapt onto the grass thatched toilet thereby trapping Motion Mukanyawu inside.

Masvingo Provincial Police Spokesperson Kudakwashe Dhewa confirmed the incident to The Mirror.

The incident happened after the boy’s parents went out to the gardens.

“On July 30, 2022 at 3:30pm Musengi Mukanyawu (47) and Moleen Majaka (42) the parents of the now deceased boy went to the garden and left their four children at home weeding dry grass.

Article continues below these jobs...

“The deceased’s sister (12) lit the weeded grass and the fire leapt onto the grass thatched toilet while the boy was inside. The deceased’s sister tried to rescue him but to avail. The body was later retrieved by neighbours.

“The body was ferried to Gutu rural hospital for postmortem.”

— Mirror

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.