Former President Robert Mugabe recounts how he was removed by President Emmerson Mnangagwa during the Military Takeover of November 2017 which he calls a military coup d’ Etat.
So far, here’s what we know Robert Mugabe said at the press conference:
- That current Zimbabwe president Emmerson Mnangagwa leadership is the result of a coup and therefore not democratic.
- He’s willing to work out a return to democracy with Emmerson Mnangagwa.
- He feels the elections that are around the corner might also help return Zimbabwe to democracy.
- His membership to Zanu-PF was terminated
- That the people who marched on the streets of Harare and Bulawayo were MDC supporters and that he is still very popular in rural areas.
- That Grace encouraged and asked him to signed the resignation letter. Mugabe said that he had wanted to stay on and let his fate be decided by the Zanu PF Congress in December
- That he doesn’t own 21 farms as claimed by the Sunday Mail.
- Joked that the tanks that rolled onto the streets were “ancient ones”.
- Also joked that likening Emmerson Mnangagwa to Cyril is misplaced because Mnangagwa didn’t win any election.
Video Credit: SABC Digital News