SAD NEWS: Senior citizen found dead in his house with his hands and legs tied


A MUTARE senior citizen (72) was found dead in his Murambi low-density suburb home with his hands and legs tied by suspected robbers who went on to ransack the house looking for valuables.

Manicaland provincial police spokesperson, Inspector Luxson Chananda, confirmed the murder and robbery which happened on Monday.

He said the late John Oakley Smith was staying alone in his main house, while the informant, Liaya Tubulu, who is a tenant there, stayed in the cottage.

“Smith’s children are believed to be in South Africa. The informant is a tenant and shares the cottage with Collins Jambaya who was Smith’s gardener. The cottage is about 20 metres away from the main house,” he said.

Tubulo last saw Smith on January 11 at around 4pm when he was buying fruits outside the gate.

The following day at around 2pm, Tubulo called Smith on his mobile number three times as he wanted to give him US$20 as part payment of his rentals, but the mobile number was not reachable.

He then called Jambaya and asked him about the whereabouts of Smith.

Jambaya also tried to call his employer, but the mobile number was not reachable.

Tubulu and Jambaya later went to look for Smith in his house.

“They went to the main house where they discovered that the main entrance door was closed, but not locked. They knocked, but there was no response. They entered the dining room and it was empty. They called Smith’s name, but there was no response.

“They went to check him in his bedroom which is located upstairs. The door to his bedroom was wide open. Upon entering, they discovered Smith’s body lying on the carpet. His hands and legs were tied with a cloth, two shoelaces and a scarf,” said Insp Chananda.

They immediately drove to Mutare Central Police Station and made a report.

Crime scene investigations done by detectives revealed that the late Smith had a cut on the head which is consistent with a blunt object.

Another cut was also observed on the deceased’s left elbow and another on his left shoulder. He had bruises on his chin, neck and all over his back. His body was taken to Victoria Chitepo Provincial Hospital for a post mortem.

No arrests have been made.

— Manica Post

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.