Man who attacked a family while wearing army uniform & got away with US$30 000 gets what he deserves


A man identified as Calvin Gasura, aged 32, has been sentenced to a nine-year jail term for his involvement in a series of armed robberies in Harare, Chinhoyi, and Chegutu.

Gasura, who was caught wearing military fatigues during the crimes, was convicted after a trial conducted by Harare magistrate Fadzai Matumbu-Mtombeni.

The specific incident for which Gasura was convicted involved the robbery of Hazvinei Mutasa, during which he stole US$30,000 at gunpoint after breaking into her residence in Dema. Gasura will face separate trials for his involvement in other armed robberies.

According to prosecutors, Gasura, along with his accomplices, arrived at Mutasa’s home on November 10, 2020. They fired a gunshot and ordered two builders, Mulambo Mareve and Felix Bieni, to lie on the ground. Gasura, armed with a gun, then forced the builders to march while holding them at gunpoint.

The robbers proceeded to break into the house by using a hammer to force open the door. Once inside, they fired another shot and assaulted Mutasa’s wife and Mareve. Gasura then took Mutasa upstairs and retrieved the hidden US$30,000 from the ceiling. Additionally, the robbers stole two mobile phones, a 7.65mm FN Browning pistol, a CCTV server, and the keys to a Mercedes Benz car. They tied up Mutasa, his wife, and the builders, using shoelaces.

Gasura and his accomplices used Mutasa’s Toyota IST as their getaway vehicle before abandoning it in Vhera village, under Chief Seke.

During the trial, Magistrate Matumbu-Mtombeni emphasized the seriousness of the crime committed by Gasura and the significant emotional and psychological impact it had on the victims. She stated that Gasura deserved a custodial sentence and highlighted the use of a firearm and the threats made in front of the complainant’s family members.

The magistrate noted that the prosecution had successfully proven Gasura’s guilt, rejecting the defence’s argument of false accusations. She pointed out that there was sufficient lighting and visibility during the incident, and the witness was in close proximity to Gasura. The court found Gasura guilty as charged.

Considering that Gasura had already spent three years in jail since his arrest, the magistrate handed down a nine-year sentence.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.