Joy turns to sorrow as 2 women die during New Year’s celebrations


Tragic incident claims lives of two women during New Year’s celebration

In a sorrowful turn of events, two women lost their lives in Tafara, Harare, while celebrating the arrival of the New Year. The circumstances surrounding their deaths remain unclear, leaving the community in shock and seeking answers.

According to initial reports, a crowd had gathered in Tafara to mark the beginning of the new year, leading to the complete blockage of the road that connects Kamunhu Shopping Centre and the Tafara suburb. The congested conditions were exacerbated by haphazardly parked vehicles, creating a challenging situation for the authorities.

The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) was called in to manage the crowd, but the task proved difficult due to poor lighting, making it challenging to maintain control over the situation. Around 3 a.m., an informant alerted the police to the presence of a crowd and the discovery of three women lying in the vicinity of Kasi Kasi Bar, situated along the main road linking Mabvuku and Tafara.

The women were immediately rushed to Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals for urgent medical attention. Unfortunately, despite the efforts of medical professionals, two of the women were pronounced dead.

Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi, the national police spokesperson, confirmed the tragic incident and stated that the Zimbabwe Republic Police has launched a comprehensive investigation to determine the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

“The Zimbabwe Republic Police is investigating the circumstances in which two women died at Kasi Kasi Bar in Tafara on January 1, 2024, at around 0010 hours while nearly 2000 people were celebrating New Year’s Eve,” Assistant Commissioner Nyathi said.

“Initial reports indicate that the road leading to Kamunhu Shopping Centre and Tafara suburb was completely blocked by a crowd and haphazardly parked vehicles.

“The Police were called in and tried to control the situation with difficulty due to poor lighting. At about 0300 hours, an informant alerted the Police about a crowd and three women lying within the vicinity of Kasi Kasi Bar and the main road that links Mabvuku and Tafara. The three women were taken to Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals where two were pronounced dead.”

Assistant Commissioner Nyathi cautioned the public and the media against jumping to conclusions as the investigation is still ongoing. He emphasized the importance of awaiting the full post-mortem results to determine the cause of death.

The Zimbabwe Republic Police expressed condemnation for the unruly behaviour displayed by motorists and the general public during the New Year’s Eve celebrations in Mabvuku. They called upon liquor outlet operators to take proactive measures, such as providing adequate parking spaces for patrons, to prevent chaos and stampedes during major events.

As the investigation progresses, more details will be disclosed to shed light on this tragic incident.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.