One burnt to death, two seriously injured in terrifying fuel container blast


A devastating incident occurred in the town of Karoi over the weekend, resulting in the death of a fuel dealer and leaving two others with critical injuries. The unfortunate event unfolded when a fuel container exploded inside a residential property, causing a fierce blaze to engulf the house.

The deceased has been identified as Tafadzwa Zanga, a 30-year-old individual. The injured parties, Sibangeni Macheza and Cliff Mwanza, both 30 years old, are currently fighting for their lives at the hospital due to extensive burns sustained during the incident.

Confirming the incident, Assistant Inspector Aggray Jaure, the Mashonaland West provincial police deputy spokesperson, expressed his condolences and shed light on the details surrounding the tragic occurrence. “I confirm the death of Tafadzwa Zanga at Chinhoyi Provincial Hospital due to severe burning wounds sustained from a fuel explosion in Karoi on Saturday around 12am,” Jaure solemnly announced.

He further revealed that Macheza and Mwanza, the survivors, were also admitted to Chinhoyi Hospital, where medical professionals are tirelessly working to save their lives.

According to Jaure’s account, the ill-fated trio had entered a dwelling located at house number 987 in the Chikangwe high-density suburb with the intention of refuelling their container. The house was being utilized to store fuel, and tragedy struck when a powerful explosion rocked the premises. Melody Musariri, another tenant residing nearby, recounted the harrowing experience. She heard a deafening blast that was quickly followed by the sight of raging flames consuming the rooms. In the midst of the chaos, Zanga, Macheza, and Mwanza desperately cried out for help as they attempted to flee.

Thanks to the swift response from neighbours, the injured victims were rescued from the blazing inferno. They were promptly transported to Karoi District Hospital, where they received initial medical attention before being transferred to Chinhoyi for further specialized care. The gravity of their burns underscores the severity of the incident.

Assistant Inspector Jaure took the opportunity to caution the public against engaging in the illegal sale and indoor storage of fuel. He emphasized the inherent dangers associated with storing inflammable substances, particularly petrol. “People must desist from keeping fuel, especially petrol that is inflammable. We even call on farmers not to stock too much fuel in containers in homes. We also call on fuel dealers to stop this habit as it has serious consequences,” Jaure firmly stated, highlighting the need for responsible practices when handling highly flammable materials.

Sadly, this is not the first time such a tragedy has unfolded in Karoi. In May of the previous year, the town mourned the loss of another prominent fuel dealer, Adam Kaponda, who perished in a similar inferno at his rented residence in the Chikangwe neighbourhood. These unfortunate incidents should serve as a stark reminder of the potential risks involved in improper handling and storage of fuel.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.