Tragic Death: Man fatally attacked over spilt beer at in-laws’ house


Tragedy unfolded in Bulawayo’s Emthunzini suburb when a man lost his life after a brutal assault at his in-laws’ residence.

The victim, identified as Fios Ncube, reportedly suffered a severe beating with an electric cable before being fatally stabbed in the neck with an Okapi knife. These harrowing details were confirmed by Assistant Inspector Nomalanga Msebele, the acting spokesperson for the Bulawayo police.

Authorities urge community members to refrain from resorting to violence during disputes, emphasizing the unfortunate and avoidable loss of life that can result from such actions.

Web design in Zimbabwe

The tragic events unfolded as Fios Ncube and his assailants—Mbalenhle Ncube (22), Themba Moyo (26), and Hloniphani Sibanda (26) — gathered for a drinking session. However, the jovial atmosphere quickly soured when Fios accidentally stumbled upon his neighbours’ opaque beer and spilled it. This inadvertent mishap seemingly sparked a surge of anger within the trio.

According to a source familiar with the incident, Ncube, consumed by rage, seized a plastic dish and repeatedly struck Fios on the head. The victim’s cries for help prompted his mother-in-law, Sithembinkosi Tshuma (55), to rush to the scene, where she discovered him bleeding profusely from the head.

Article continues below these jobs...

In an attempt to provide solace and safety, Tshuma escorted Fios to her own home, where he sought refuge in one of the bedrooms. However, after a brief respite, Fios returned to the scene, finding Ncube, Moyo, and Sibanda still indulging in alcohol. Overwhelmed by emotion, he confronted Ncube, gripping him forcefully by his shirt collar and shoving him against the wall.

The situation quickly escalated as Moyo, driven by a surge of aggression, seized an electric cable and mercilessly thrashed Fios, subjecting him to a barrage of blows across his body. The assault left Fios incapacitated, and it was at this moment that Sibanda produced an Okapi knife from his trouser pocket. In a horrifying turn of events, Sibanda allegedly plunged the blade into Fios’ neck, striking him twice.

Fios was swiftly rushed to a nearby hospital for urgent medical attention. Despite the efforts of healthcare professionals, tragically, he succumbed to his injuries while receiving treatment.

Law enforcement agencies are actively investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident, and it is expected that the individuals involved will face the full weight of the law. As the authorities work diligently to bring justice to this heart-wrenching case, it is hoped that this incident will serve as a wake-up call for the community, encouraging peaceful resolutions and a commitment to non-violence in times of conflict.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.