Horror as boyfriend kills pregnant girlfriend 5 days before lobola negotiations

The late Hillary Nothando Ncube

Bulawayo’s Emakhandeni suburb is reeling from the shocking and brutal killing of 26-year-old Hillary Nothabo Ncube on Monday night. The alleged perpetrator, identified as her boyfriend, Obvious Velani Sibanda, reportedly assaulted Ncube with a metal bar following a heated dispute and accusations of infidelity.

The couple, who were co-workers at a popular local fast-food outlet, were just five days away from their lobola negotiations when the tragic incident occurred. Ncube, who was five months pregnant, became the victim of a gruesome assault that resulted in her untimely death.

According to witnesses, Sibanda strategically amplified the volume of his radio and television to drown out Ncube’s cries for help from neighbours. This chilling detail suggests a calculated attempt to prevent any intervention while he carried out the vicious attack.

Upon receiving a distressing call from Ncube’s mother in Cowdray Park, Ncube’s grandfather, Mr John Ndlovu, rushed to the scene. He arrived at the police station to find Sibanda on the other side of the counter, unable to meet his gaze. The police then accompanied Ndlovu to the murder scene in Emakhandeni, where they discovered Ncube’s lifeless body with a severe head injury.

The family is left perplexed as to the motive behind such a violent act, as Ncube and Sibanda appeared to be in a happy relationship and were actively involved in preparing for their lobola negotiations. Just the day before the incident, Ndlovu had met with the couple at their workplace, where they even treated him to chips and a drink while discussing the upcoming ceremony.

The tragic turn of events has left family members devastated. Ncube’s father, who resides in South Africa, had been planning to attend the lobola negotiations but is now making arrangements to return for his daughter’s funeral.

According to the police, Ncube and Sibanda finished work around 5 pm and decided to visit Sibanda’s residence. It was there that Sibanda allegedly confronted Ncube about a frequent caller named Gift, whose contact number he found on her cellphone. Ncube acknowledged Gift as her boyfriend and the father of her unborn child. This revelation reportedly enraged Sibanda, who then retrieved a metal bar from behind the door and struck Ncube on the head, rendering her unconscious.

Tragically, Sibanda continued to assault his girlfriend with the same metal bar until she succumbed to her injuries. Realizing that Ncube showed no signs of life, Sibanda contacted his parents to inform them of the horrific incident. He subsequently turned himself in to the police at approximately 8:30 pm.

The body of the deceased was taken to United Bulawayo Hospitals, where it underwent a post-mortem examination. Inspector Abednico Ncube, Bulawayo provincial police spokesperson, emphasized the importance of resolving conflicts through peaceful means and seeking assistance rather than resorting to violence, which leads to unnecessary loss of life.

“Such a young life has been lost, an incident which could have been avoided if both parties had sought assistance in solving their issue,” he said.

“As a way of curbing gender-based violence we encourage members of the public to use dialogue than violence and seek advice from third parties such as Emthonjeni Women Forum, Musasa, Contact and church members or trusted elderly persons as well as the police,” said Insp Ncube.

Mourners have gathered at House Number 151 in Cowdray Park to mourn the loss of Hillary Nothabo Ncube, whose life was cut short in such a senseless and devastating manner.

Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.