HARARE – Zimdancehall couple Hulungende and Malloti were dragged from the stage and arrested shortly after performing at the Doek and Slay event at Glamis Arena in Harare, bringing a turbulent run of cancelled shows, angry promoters and disappointed fans to a dramatic climax.
The arrest on Sunday came after weeks of complaints surrounding the pair’s performances. Promoters have accused the couple of accepting deposits and then failing to honour bookings, arriving late for shows or leaving organisers to deal with crowds who had paid to see them perform.
The latest incident unfolded soon after the couple had completed their appearance at the popular Harare event. What was expected to be another high-profile performance quickly turned into a confrontation, with the musicians reportedly resisting arrest as officers moved in to take them into custody.
Their bouncers were also caught up in the melee. Journalists who were recording the incident were allegedly assaulted as the situation became chaotic outside the performance area.
The precise charges facing Hulungende and Malloti were not immediately made public, but their arrest is understood to be linked to complaints from promoters over performances that were allegedly not honoured. The couple’s detention has now placed renewed focus on the growing tension between artists, event organisers and fans in Zimbabwe’s fast-moving entertainment industry.
For promoters, the issue is not simply about whether an artist arrives on time. A missed performance can result in refunds, damaged reputations, unpaid suppliers, security costs and angry audiences. When the artist has already received a deposit, the financial pressure can become even more severe.
The accusations against Hulungende and Malloti have also stretched beyond Zimbabwe. UK-based promoters have reportedly complained about difficulties involving the couple, while organisers in other parts of the region have also counted their losses after shows allegedly failed to go ahead as planned.
One of the most serious recent incidents took place at Dhana Leisure Centre in Mutoko on August 10. The venue had been booked for a performance by Hulungende and Malloti, but the pair allegedly failed to appear.
Shepherd Maeni, who manages the leisure centre, said the venue had assisted with preparations and logistics before the event. The situation changed when the musicians did not arrive and the crowd became increasingly angry.
“The situation was chaotic at our centre after irate fans in Mutoko destroyed property on August 10 after they failed to come,” said Maeni.
According to the venue manager, the show had been organised by a promoter who assured the centre that everything was in order. The venue provided support as it normally did for visiting artists, expecting the event to proceed without incident.
“A promoter hired our venue to host Malloti and Hulungende, and they advised us that everything was in order. On the day of the show, we assisted them with logistics as we normally do with other artistes, but this time around, the script horribly went wrong as they failed to show up,” Maeni said.
The failure to appear allegedly triggered an outburst from fans who had gathered for the performance. Windows were shattered, stock was reportedly looted, while cars and the stage were damaged during the disorder.
“Fans shattered our windows, looted stock and damaged cars and the stage in anger,” Maeni said.
The venue was left facing a major repair bill. An initial estimate placed the restoration cost at about US$40 000, although the final amount had not yet been established when the damage was reported.
“We are still to ascertain the value of the damage, but it runs into thousands of US dollars. It was quite unfortunate, and something needs to be done to address the issue. It was more than a war as fans were really angry with them,” Maeni added.
The Mutoko incident has become a key part of the complaints now surrounding the couple. It also illustrates how a dispute between artists and promoters can quickly affect venue owners and ordinary workers who may have had no role in arranging the performance.
When a show collapses, the consequences are often felt by everyone involved. Vendors lose business, sound companies may go unpaid, security teams face difficult crowds and venue operators are left to repair damage. Fans, many of whom may have travelled long distances, are left demanding answers and refunds.
The arrest at Glamis Arena came only days after the Mutoko controversy and intensified calls for stronger measures to protect promoters, venue owners and fans. Industry players have argued that artists should be required to honour written performance agreements and that disputes over deposits should be handled before crowds arrive at venues.
The couple’s reported difficulties with promoters are said to include both alleged no-shows and late arrivals. In some cases, audiences were reportedly forced to wait for long periods before the musicians appeared. In other cases, the artists allegedly did not arrive at all, leaving promoters to manage the anger of fans who had bought tickets or paid entrance fees.
The complaints have also raised questions about the role of artist managers, booking agents and security teams. Promoters often make advance payments weeks before an event and spend additional money on advertising, transport, accommodation, sound equipment and security. If an artist cancels without a clear explanation, the organiser may have little time to recover those costs.
The case was removed from the court roll while authorities sought to trace the accused, and extradition procedures were reportedly being pursued after information emerged that she could be living in Zimbabwe. The South African matter is separate from the arrest at Glamis Arena, but it has added to the scrutiny surrounding Malloti’s public life and cross-border movements.
The identity of the South African accused has been linked to Malloti in reports about the case, although the legal process remains unfinished. No conviction has been recorded in the material surrounding the matter, and the case remains an allegation to be determined through the courts.
Hulungende and Malloti have also been linked to a separate disturbance in Kariba in June. Police reportedly confirmed that an investigation was under way after a confrontation and a road accident in which a pregnant woman was injured. The incident did not result in a confirmed conviction in the available reports, but it added to the list of controversies being associated with the couple.
